By  Kenley Schroeder:

This is the story of a plot of bounty land, from the time it was granted April 6, 1841, until December 20, 1963.  The first owner of this land was Conrad Eigenauer, a German, who at the time of his death in 1836, was fighting in the Texas Army against the Republic of Mexico in a battle near Colita.  This land "artificate" was given to his heirs in payment for $75 that Eigenauer had loaned the Republic of Texas and for military services rendered.  At this time this land was selling at about $1.20 ½ per acre.  It was located about two miles from the community of Hare on the San Gabriel River bottom and considered choice land.

Eigenauer's next of kin were his two brothers, Jacob Eigenauer, a highly learned man, and Wilhelm Eigenauer, who could neither read or write and signed his name with an "X".  These brothers lived in New Orleans and had died before the estate could be cleared.  The land was then left to the next of kin who lived in a small farming village near Hidlebourg, Germany.  The administrative powers were signed over to a lawyer in New Orleans.  This lawyer was to obtain clearance from all of the other heirs, then sell the land as he saw fit.  The land was sold to Andrew Gordon, but later reclaimed by James Mason, who said the documents were forged.  It was found that the deeds had been forged and the land was then set up for sale again.  Andrew Gordon bought the land by paying the taxes for five years back as they had not been paid due to the forged titles.  The money had then been refunded to Gordon so he bought 773 acres of land for five years back taxes, which amount to $17 a year.

Andrew Gordon was known to many as Major Gordon.  During the Civil War, Major Gordon trained soldiers for the south at this place.  This was an ideal place as it had plenty of water, trees, and was away from the main field of battle.  Major Gordon also built a "grist" mill on the San Gabriel River.  This was run by slaves, as it was about four miles from the main house.  The slaves had a small settlement built on Turkey Creek between the San Gabriel and the big house.  There is a graveyard where the slaves were buried; this is still standing today.

The old Gordon house is still standing.  It is a large two-story house with large white pillars in front with a gallery for both floors.  The house was built with square nails and these have not been replaced.  The floor sills are six inches by ten inches and one is made of solid black walnut.  Today these are as good as new.  The broad ax that was used to split these sills is in the possession of the deceased Dr. Johnson in Thorndale, Texas.  The ax is still setting on his desktop.  The house had two rooms upstairs and two downstairs.  There is a fireplace in each room and a winding stairway between the two floors.  (I have no idea how many times I have slid down the banister.  For generations of my family, the children have slid down that banister.)  The house took one year to build and is approximately 125 years old.  The lumber was hauled from Houston by oxen.

In 1949, a Negro woman died.  She was over 100 years old and was born into slavery under the Gordons.  She was later freed after the Civil War.  The Negro lived in Bartlett, Texas, until her death.

When Andrew Gordon died, the 773 acres of land were split up equally between his children.  The estate was not divided according to land, but value of the land.  John C. Gordon received the house, the orchard, the cattle yards, and 165 acres of the estate.  The rest of the estate was split up and sold.  It was stated in the will that all of the estate be given tax free (as inheritance taxes).  It was also stated that a plot, 75 feet square, be set aside for a family burying ground.  This was not to be sold, transferred or cultivated by anyone at any time.  The tombstones are still standing.  (I have a list of all the names in the cemetery on another sheet of paper.)  The last will and testament of Major Andrew Gordon was written on October 13, 1883.

During Major Gordon's occupancy of the place there was an epidemic which took the lives of many of the residents of the place during the early 1870's.  When this epidemic struck, the daughter of Seneca Carter, a New York Doctor, was visiting the Gordons.  The girl came down with the epidemic and the Doctor and his family came to nurse the sick daughter.  The Doctor became sick and both he and his daughter died along with Andrew's son, Andrew Franklin Gordon and several others.  All of these are buried in the cemetery behind the house.

      The information above, in dark red, is corrected from data received from two of Seneca Carter's great granddaughters.  Click Here

My uncle, Clyde Arledge, bought the house and 165 acres of the land from Malcum Gordon, the grandson of Andrew Gordon, around 1935.  Cecil Arledge, brother of Clyde Arledge, lived there for seven years.  Then my grandparents, Mr. And Mrs. R.B. Arledge, lived in the house and worked the land until my grandfather's death.  The land was sold to Corabel J. Crockett in 1960 and is still held by her.  Mr. and Mrs. Charles Shiller are living in the house and working the land.

Post Note:  The house now belongs to a Travis County lawyer, Thomas Bullion, Jr., He has restored the old home back to it's original condition and uses it as their weekend home.  It's good to see the old home giving others as much delight as it did for the Gordons so many years before..
Those buried in the small family cemetery behind the house and the epitaphs of the graves:

Ella Lee Lane (daughter of T. and M. M. Lane)
Born July 6, 1861 - Died January 23, 1863

Rock Marker, No Name (6-ft.)

Seneca Carter, M.D.
Born Utica, N.Y. August 17, 1804
Died in Milam County, Texas 8/16/1858

M. McNairy, daughter of Wm. A. and J. M. Daniel
Born April 8, 1856 - Died November 22, 1860

Oscar H., son of C. K. & E. J. Robinson
Born May 30, 1872 - Died August 3, 1875

Andrew F. Gordon
Born March 2, 1832 - Died October 31, 1873

Albion Daniel
Born April 25, 1855 - Died June 23, 1890

Jane M. Daniel
Born October 27, 1825 - Died October 9, 1887

Thomas F. Lane
Born January 12, 1863 - Died January 25, 1874

Twin Daughters of T. Lane
Born and died September 11, 1873

Harry McDonald, son of G. & L. R. Gordon
Born December 16, 1862 - Died October 30, 1870
(Sweetly sleep Harry)

Eliza K. consort of Andrew Gordon
Born April 17, 1801 - Died January 18, 1872

Sarah E. Gordon
Born September 14, 1838 - Died February 28, 1859

Mary J., consort of R. S. Wiley
Born August 25, 1828 - Died January 21, 1855

Eliza K., consort of C. M. LeSueur
Born September 8, 1830 - Died January 11, 1855

John Goff
Born March 9, 1776 - Died February 19, 1867

East Williamson County, Texas
The home as it looked in the summer of 1999 and personally visited by Fred (Ric) Gordon
The home of Andrew and Eliza Gordon
(my first cousin four times removed)

This is what the cemetery looks like in the summer time

Click here to view the individual tombstones